If you are looking for a gaming laptop that can rival a desktop PC in terms of performance, design, and upgradability, you might want to check out the Alienware Area-51m. This beastly machine is packed with the latest and most powerful components and features a unique and futuristic look that sets it apart from the crowd.
In this article, I will review the Alienware Area-51m and see why it is a true innovator in the gaming laptop market.
What is the Alienware Area-51m?
The Alienware Area-51m is a 17.3-inch gaming laptop launched in 2019 by Dell’s premium gaming division, Alienware. It is the first laptop to feature a socketed desktop CPU and a swappable GPU, meaning you can upgrade them in the future without buying a new laptop. This game-changer is for gamers who want to keep up with the latest technology and enjoy the best gaming experience possible.
The Alienware Area-51m also boasts an impressive spec sheet that includes an Intel Core i9-9900K CPU, an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 GPU, 32GB of RAM, and 2TB of storage. These components allow the laptop to run any game or application at high settings and smooth frame rates. The laptop also has a 1920×1080 144Hz IPS display that supports G-Sync, which ensures a tear-free and stutter-free gaming experience.
The Alienware Area-51m also has a distinctive and futuristic design that features a magnesium alloy chassis, RGB lighting, and a honeycomb pattern on the back. The laptop has a thickness of 1.7 inches and a weight of 8.54 pounds, which makes it bulky and heavy compared to other gaming laptops. However, this is understandable given the powerful components and cooling system inside. The laptop also requires two power bricks to run at full power, which adds to its weight and size.
|Processor||Intel’s latest processors (up to i9)|
|Graphics||NVIDIA RTX series GPUs|
|Upgradeable Hardware||CPU and GPU can be replaced|
|Display||Options for high refresh rates and resolution|
|Design||Futuristic aesthetics with RGB lighting|
|Weight||Balanced for performance and durability|
|Cooling System||Advanced cooling for optimal performance|
|Keyboard and Inputs||Full-sized keyboard with ergonomic design|
|Connectivity||Comprehensive port selection for peripherals|
|Build Quality||Premium build with robust construction|
|Price||Varies based on configuration|
Cutting-Edge Processor and Graphics
The Area-51m is armed with Intel’s latest processors and NVIDIA’s RTX GPUs, allowing gamers to experience unbeatable performance. The high-end specifications enable users to enjoy even the most demanding games with ease, and the cutting-edge cooling system ensures that the laptop performs optimally even under intense pressure.
One of the standout features of the Alienware Area-51m is its upgradeable components. Unlike many gaming laptops, the Area-51m allows users to replace the CPU and GPU, future-proofing the system and ensuring that it remains at the forefront of gaming technology.
The Alienware Area-51m has an eye-catching design with its sleek chassis and RGB lighting. The futuristic aesthetics coupled with a premium build quality make it a standout in the crowded gaming laptop market.
The Area-51m offers a stunning display with options for high refresh rates and resolution. The vibrant colors and crisp visuals take the gaming experience to a whole new level.
Portability and Convenience
Despite being a laptop, the Alienware Area-51m offers a desktop-like experience with its full-sized keyboard and vast connectivity options. The ergonomic design ensures comfort during prolonged gaming sessions.
While the Area-51m is not the lightest laptop on the market, it balances weight with performance and durability. The robust construction adds to the weight but ensures that the laptop can withstand the rigors of daily use.
What are the pros and cons of the Alienware Area-51m?
The Alienware Area-51m has many advantages and disadvantages that you should consider before buying it. Here are some of them:
- Astounding graphics and general computing performance. The Alienware Area-51m can easily handle any game or application, thanks to its desktop-class processor and graphics card. It can also support VR gaming and ray tracing, some of the most advanced features in gaming today.
- Built-in eye tracking. The Alienware Area-51m has Tobii’s eye-tracking technology to track your eye movements and adjust the display accordingly. This can enhance your gaming experience by allowing you to control some aspects of the game with your eyes, such as aiming or selecting options.
- Comfortable keyboard. The Alienware Area-51m has a full-size keyboard with RGB backlighting, numpad, macro keys, and anti-ghosting technology. The keys have a good travel distance and feedback, making them comfortable and responsive for typing and gaming.
- Excellent component access for upgrades. The Alienware Area-51m has an easy-to-open bottom panel that gives you access to the CPU, GPU, RAM, storage, battery, fans, and Wi-Fi card. You can upgrade these components in the future without voiding your warranty as long as you use compatible parts from Dell.
- 144Hz display. The Alienware Area-51m has a 17.3-inch Full HD display with a refresh rate 144Hz and supports G-Sync. This means the display can show up to 144 frames per second and synchronize with the GPU to eliminate screen tearing and stuttering. The display also has good brightness, contrast, color accuracy, and viewing angles.
- Heavy, bulky. The Alienware Area-51m is not a portable device by any means. It is thick and heavy and requires two power bricks to operate at full power. You will need a large laptop bag and a strong back to carry this laptop around.
- Expensive. The Alienware Area-51m is not cheap either. The base model costs $1,949, while the fully loaded model costs $4,499. This is a lot of money for a laptop, even if it offers desktop-like performance.
- No 4K display option. The Alienware Area-51m only comes with a Full HD display option, which might disappoint some gamers who want higher resolutions and more details in their games. A 4K display option would have been nice, especially for such a premium device.
- Very short battery life. The Alienware Area-51m has a poor battery life of about 2 hours on average. This is expected for a laptop with such powerful components, but it still limits its usability and convenience. You must be near a power outlet most of the time if you want to use this laptop.
The Alienware Area-51m is a true innovator in the gaming laptop market, offering unparalleled performance, design, and upgradability. It is a dream machine for hardcore gamers who want to enjoy the best gaming experience possible on a laptop. However, it is also a very expensive, bulky, and power-hungry device unsuitable for everyone. You might want to look elsewhere if you are looking for a more portable, affordable, and battery-friendly gaming laptop.